Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Voter Fraud?


Because I've not been paying a whole lot of attention to politics of late (which I guess I'd liken to reading old love letters a la John Prine – "they always bring me tears"), I'd not heard of the recent story about the Florida (where else?!) computer programmer who claims he was commissioned to create vote-rigging software by former Florida Congressman, Tom Feeney (R – of course).

Now, I've kind of harbored thoughts about this all along that the election had been rigged – a 5% margin in Florida after what happened in 2000 just didn't compute (hmmm... interesing choice of words, huh?). But what the hell do I know... right?

However, in this day and age of computer ubiquity, is it really such a far-flung idea? I have often thought of the film Superman III since election day... Richard Pryor plays Gus Gorman, a down on his luck computer genius, who is hired by a company to do data entry. He discovers that the company's payroll system has fractions-of-a-penny leftovers that he diverts to his own paycheck, making him a millionaire.

My feeling is that if this election was indeed rigged, someone simply decided, "Let's win Florida by 5%" (not to pick on our good friend Florida, mind you), someone clicked on 5% and it was a done deal. All of the purged voters could have been allowed to vote and it wouldn't have made a difference.

I see that the major news outlets appear to be leaving the story alone... there are very few Google news references. There's a bit more info at Raw Story as well as at BradBlog Too, where the story apparently broke.

No comments: