Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Edie Brickell

What ever happened to Edie Brickell?

I thought Edie was one of the more original artists of the mid-80s, releasing a bang-up couple of records – Shooting Rubberbands At The Stars and Ghost Of A Dog – as Edie Brickell & New Bohemians, before she married Paul Simon, who produced her forgettable (read: no-get-able) follow-up release Picture Perfect Morning.

In 1999 she reunited with New Bohemians to write a bit and record The LIVE Montauk Sessions and I see that she released a new solo CD last year – Volcano. I guess I'll have to check to see if she can win me over again.

I thought that her work with New Bohemians was exceptional because I thought they provided a sound that complemented her voice and lyrics very well.

Interestingly, I found a brief review of Volcano at Subway's website (yes the sandwich shop!):

Old "Bohemian" Sounds Brand New

by George Crocco

It’s always a shame when a multi-talented artist becomes known for one song, especially if it’s a quirky one. That circumstance makes the general public fail to take the rest of their music seriously. When I told people how much I loved Edie Brickell’s new Volcano album (on Universal), a few of them asked me who she was. Once I sang "What I am is what I am…" though, they instantly remembered.

Back during the 80s-into-90s she was with the [sic*] New Bohemians. Today Edie has assembled fresh back-up for her latest release, including producer Charlie Sexton (of Dylan’s current touring band) on everything from keyboards to violin (and of course, guitar). The result is a more full and mature sound. Her sweet "folk/pop" voice of 15 years ago has blossomed into a warm, sultry one that brings to mind a smoky lounge more than a coffeehouse.

There’s a rich 'n creamy blend of mellow-to-upbeat tunes with a soft jazz and blues flavoring. The arrangements drift by like clouds on a breezy summer day. Although I could make vague comparisons to artists such as Norah Jones or Fiona Apple, Edie has definitely developed a styling that is all her own.

Along with providing vocals and guitar to every track, she also self-penned the entire CD. I mean, who else could conjure up such evocative images as "eyes like faded jeans" or, "She is an early morning silhouette / against the slowly rising sun"? Edie has the gift of being able to paint detailed, colorful pictures with eloquent words. Someday, I can see her joining the ranks of songwriters as esteemed as Joni Mitchell or Carole King.

The majority of my music collection consists of harder-edged bands such as Nirvana and the Stone Temple Pilots, yet I was hooked on this majestic Volcano the minute I heard it. Its towering appeal will extend to a wide variety of listeners – those who want to hear some real music and melody, rather than just a lot of beats and riffs.

*For the record it's New Bohemians – not THE New Bohemians.

And to refresh your memory a bit...

NOTHING

By Edie Brickell

Are you in a bad mood?
Don't you wanna talk about it?
Did I say somethin' rude?
You don't have to cry about it.

Aren't you feelin' okay?
Would you like a little company?
Or did you have a bad day?
Are you mad at me? – let it show
Don't tell me nothing
Don't tell me nothing – I don't wanna know.

There's nothing I hate more then nothing.
Nothing keeps me up at night.
I toss and turn over nothing.
Nothing could cause a great big fight.

Hey – What's the matter?
Hey – What's the matter?
What's wrong with you?
What's wrong with you?
Don't tell me nothing.

There's nothing I hate more then nothing.
Nothing keeps me up all night.
I toss and turn over nothing.
Nothing could cause a great big fight.

Hey – talk to me
Hey – talk to me
Are you feeling blue?
Blue
Hey – talk to me

Don't tell me nothing
Don't tell me nothing
Don't tell me nothing
I don't want to know
I don't want to know
I don't want to know
Nothing

No comments: