Sunday, August 22, 2004

Bob Dole, Attack Dog

I recall when Bob Dole was running as Gerald Ford's running mate against Jimmy Carter and Walter Mondale in 1976. He was snide, flip and often disrepectful of his opponents during the campaign -- essentially an attack dog unleashed to do the Republicans' dirty work. I recall that I didn't like him all that much then.

In more recent years, he's earned a bit more of my respect as he's (seemingly) mellowed, becoming more statesman-like now that he's retired from political office.

After today's appearance on CNN's Late Edition With Wolf Spritzer, he's gone and lost any respect he'd gained.


Dole told CNN's "Late Edition" that he warned Kerry months ago about going "too far" and that the Democrat may have himself to blame for the current situation, in which polls show him losing support among veterans.

"One day he's saying that we were shooting civilians, cutting off their ears, cutting off their heads, throwing away his medals or his ribbons," Dole said. "The next day he's standing there, 'I want to be president because I'm a Vietnam veteran.

"Maybe he should apologize to all the other 2.5 million veterans who served. He wasn't the only one in Vietnam," said Dole, whose World War II wounds left him without the use of his right arm.

Dole added: "And here's, you know, a good guy, a good friend. I respect his record. But three Purple Hearts and never bled that I know of. I mean, they're all superficial wounds. Three Purple Hearts and you're out."



As Josh Marshall says, "Dole knows better."


In a 1988 campaign-trail autobiography, here's how Dole described the incident that earned him his first Purple Heart: "As we approached the enemy, there was a brief exchange of gunfire. I took a grenade in hand, pulled the pin, and tossed it in the direction of the farmhouse. It wasn't a very good pitch (remember, I was used to catching passes, not throwing them). In the darkness, the grenade must have struck a tree and bounced off. It exploded nearby, sending a sliver of metal into my leg -- the sort of injury the Army patched up with Mercurochrome and a Purple Heart."



I say, "Prick!"

These people will do and say anything!

No comments: