Saturday, July 17, 2004

Amen!


"How can Blair live with Iraq deaths?"

"I’m very angry, and I’m angry that young men like Gordon have to die in an unnecessary, unjust war.

"It was a difficult decision because I knew that if I said what I said I would be accused of grandstanding. I think this was a situation for people who are never asked their opinion about anything: nobody really cares what anyone in Pollok thinks, but they have lives and values and, unfortunately, the only time anyone pays attention to them is a tragedy like this.

"They are human beings who have the same hopes and dreams as anyone else. The world of George Bush and Tony Blair and people on that strata is so far removed from the Polloks of this world, and it is the same in the US."

Asked about last week’s publication of the Butler report, Mann said: "If my action is taken on faulty intelligence and causes the death of many soldiers under my command I don’t know how I could live with myself.

"It just seemed that, whatever the Butler report says, those who are in power will stay in power because that is the nature of it. What they got in their intelligence gathering was what they wanted to hear."

more>>


No comments: