Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Ted Rall


While I'm trying to get back into the everyday aspect of every day, election day continues to haunt. Today I talked at length with a co-worker about the whole sordid affair and the prospects o four more years of a lying, murderous administration. (I fear what Ashcroft's resignation might bring!)

I continue to gloss over a few political blogs to see if there have been any serious developments in the fraud investigations in Ohio and Florida, and to see what kind of reports are coming out of Fallujah. (Christ, what a mess!)

Yesterday, I read a blog in which someone called the war in Iraq "Bush's folly"... I don't recall having heard anyone call it that (though folly is indeed what it is) and I wished that someone would have fed that on a regular basis to the press, if only to have them cite someone on air as having said it. You know... just like how the media continued to quiz Republican operatives about Kerry's flip-flops or how he'd "voted for the 87 billion..."

Until tonight, I hadn't read Ted Rall's column in some time, so as I was scrolling through the My Yahoo! newsfeed, I couldn't resist; I clicked on his headline: GUILTY, DISGUSTED, AMERICAN...


The day after a shady election handed to a maniacal buffoon, New Yorkers whose dead remain scandalously unavenged were in the streets. Civil strife, rage, the fight for decency and democracy--they were nowhere to be found.

People looked up at the sky, taking in the sun on a crisp fall day. They streamed in and out of the Disney store. They lived their lives. I lived mine. Half a world away, meanwhile, AC-130 planes and tanks bought by American citizens and dispatched on the orders of criminal goons busily declaring themselves a mandate dropped bombs and shot shells into a city called Fallujah. "Marine Expeditionary Forces will continue to conduct operations and will not cease until Fallujah is free of foreign terrorists and insurgents," read an official military statement. Issam Mohammad, spokesman for the Fallujah hospital, said that a woman was "badly wounded." A young girl lost her leg.



Yes, many people took to the streets, subways, buses and thoroughfares on Wednesday as if it were just another day... as if they'd only lost a buck or two in the Super Bowl pool at work.

The rest of us contemplated how to save the country and the world from this miserable failure.

No comments: