Sunday, February 20, 2005

Winter When She Goes


Rachel Bissex (by Robert Corwin)
Next week sometime, I'll be going in to WKAR studios to do an on-air review of Tracy Grammer's new solo CD, Flower Of Avalon, and I received an advance copy of the disc from her record label yesterday in order to prepare for the review/interview with Melissa Ingells.

In a very sad twist of fate, I received a forwarded email this morning that announced the passing of singer-songwriter Rachel Bissex, someone I knew, albeit not very well. What little I knew of Rachel I liked. She was a wonderful, warm person with an undying giving nature. A sweet, sweet woman blessed with many, many friends.

Last week, as news came to me of her failing condition, a haiku (of sorts) stumbled out of me...


her flame's hot, white dance
trembles 'round the waning wick
before burning out.



And today, as I read the last few words of this morning's email, the first notes and words of Tracy Grammer's "Winter When He Goes" began filling the room and my ears and, eventually, my eyes.

WINTER WHEN SHE GOES*
by Dave Carter

As the sun is to the city
In the endless weeping winter
So is joy to me in pity
When she leaves me falsely tender
Like the true love's knot we tethered
Plastic ivy 'round the portal
For to frame the spring forever
Though the blizzard took the mortal holy rose
It's always winter when she goes

As a matter of convenience
We don't speak of dying gardens
As a man of heart and lenience
I make liberal with my pardons
I am generous with kindess
She with smiles and exaltations
Though she binds her wounds in silence
I my own impracticed patience
Lest she know
It's always winter when she goes
It's always winter when she goes

She collects the twigs and briars
I stack them up for fire
But it's chilly for the burning

She slumbers in the straw
I hold out for the thaw
For the seasons won't be turning

As I'm writing you this letter
The blue stem's running riot
The daisies break their fetters
And the bees will not lay quiet
If you find her where she's dancin'
With her lover or her jailer
Say in April's splendid mansion
I lay broken by her trailer in the snow
It's always winter when she goes
It's always winter when she goes
It's always winter when she goes

*Tracy has sung (and recorded) the song as "Winter When He Goes" whereas Dave originally wrote the song as "Winter When She Goes" — I've opted to use the original form here.

No comments: