Friday, January 14, 2005

Downtime

This blog has been down for a day or so due to something going on with my webhost... They've not been at all responsive to my emails about this or any other of my sites, so I'm thinking of changing webhosts.

I have a friend in California who sells hosting, but I'm not so sure I'll be able to pay him a fair price. He's offered to give me a break, but I'm still not so sure I can make it fair for him. I got a tip from another friend last night about a reasonably-priced hosting service; a responsive one at that. I'll have to seriously consider it.

Because of the black-out blog-wise, I lost whatever urges I might have had to write. I've taken a lot of photographs recently, so I've been spending a lot of time editing them and posting them at Flickr. I've also recently figured out how to get reasonably good scans of slides using my flat-bed scanner and its backlight adapter for transmission scans.

I interviewed for a job on Monday but tanked it, I'm quite sure. During the interview, I sort of realized that the job wasn't quite suited for me anyway as it seemed to have a bit too much administrative work to tend to... In the last couple of years, I've begun to lose the best of my organizational skills (probably not very strong at best anyway!), and I'm not the detail-oriented person I once was. At least, I don't feel like I am. Too many cracks have developed in my life and I somehow keep finding every one of them into which to lose stuff.

Anyway... I doubt I'll get called back for a second interview and, frankly, I'm not so sure I'd accept the offer to interview if it came. I'd prefer to not pose as something I'm not just to get a job (despite my serious need for cash these days), but jobs that are perfect matches for me seem to be fewer and further between these days.

The weather has been rather goofy... We had a couple of days of 50-ish weather and the almost two feet of snow we recently had dumped on us completely melted. Yesterday, as I came home from snapping a few pictures and picking up some groceries, the snow started coming down like crazy and we've got an inch or two on the ground again. The photo above was taken from my balcony and I was thrilled with the way it turned out. I was dinking around, taking a photo of line patterns on the balcony when the fellow apartment dweller happened by.

No comments: